Get a bigger audience right now.
This article is letter (D) of our “Automation Brand" series where we write an article for each letter of the phrase. “Automation Brand" finds all the ways automation benefits marketing. Find links to more articles in the series below.
You’ve created the masterpieces of masterpieces of content. So why is no one looking at it and do you need to chart a path?
People are no longer obligated to look at content they don’t look. While you can buy methods of distributing your content to have a farther reach, people’s attention can no longer be bought. It has to be earned. That makes smartly distributing and promoting your content just as important as the content itself. Just make a plan.
What Is Content Distribution?
“Content distribution refers to any means used by brands to disseminate content to large and targeted audiences.”
For example, one of the easiest ways to distribute your content is through email newsletters. When you publish a new blog post, you can send an email out to your subscribers alerting them of the new blog post. This process can also be automated!
You can include a link to the article in the email, have an excerpt of the article in the email, or have the full article in the email too. It really depends on what your audience likes by what they open and click on the most.
Owned, Earned, Paid Distribution Channels
1. Paid – Everyone needs to start somewhere. And pay-to-play type distribution helps get your foot in the door. Paid distribution is best leveraged when it leads back to your owned content that’s on your blog or website.
Examples? Social Media Advertising, Pay per click, display ads, collaborating with influencers
The Audience? General Consumers
2. Owned – This is you core and home base. You completely control your owned content and aren’t subject to any third party rules. Contrary to popular belief, you do not own the content on your social media channels and they are still subject to the platform’s policies.
Examples? Website, Blog, Mailchimp
The Audience? Customers
3. Earned – Any time someone takes the initiative to create content vouching for your brand, they’ve become part of your distribution channel. The most valuable of the distribution channels, earned media gives your brand major credibility. People trust third-party reviews more than what a brand says about itself.
Examples? Word of Mouth, Social Media comments, Forums, Reviews, any type of User-Generated Content (UGC)
The Audience? Loyal Fans
Distribution Tools You Can Use Right Now
- Mailchimp Distributes email newsletters.
- Medium A publishing platform where writers can post articles of any length and any subject.
- Quora An ask-and-answer platform where you can answer your target audience’s questions and research what topics they are asking about.
- Reddit A gold-mine of UGC where communities (subreddits) flock around different subject, interests, and hobbies.
- Social media advertising Majority of social media platforms offer options for paid advertisements and have a higher engagement than traditional banner ads.
- Taboola Places your content in those “Around the web” and “Recommended for you” boxes you see sprinkled around the internet at the bottom or alongside articles
Last but not least, Swomi are our very own distribution tool. They use automation to curate and direct your targeted audience to your website or blog. When audiences with a high level of buying intent are exposed to your content that matches their interest, you see increased conversions and happy customers.
Contact us here to learn more about Swomi. Thanks for reading!
This article is part of our “Automation Brand” series where we write an article for each letter of the phrase. “Automation Brand” finds all the ways automation benefits marketing.
Click below to read more articles in the “Automation Brand” series: